The job of a Producer. Never an easy gig. Even when things run smoothly, there’s always a tight rope or two to traverse. With the global coronavirus pandemic, client, talent, and camera crews safety on location has increased the high-wire act for producers.
Yet life goes on– Executive messages, political interviews, new medical procedures, etc. still need to be filmed and distributed, with the added concern for the clients, talent and crew safety at the studio and on-site locations. Handling these film safety tightropes, so to speak, is now more daunting than ever.
Issue: Film shoot safety during Covid-19
Let’s say your client needs a C-Suite executive filmed in Miami or Fort Lauderdale, introducing a new software app or a healthcare service. As a producer, you want to get the job done right with minimal stress to everyone involved.
Solution: Remote Directing and Remote Camera Crew Services.
At Moving Picture Rental, safety is our first concern. We understand that being on-site or in the same room as your client may be impractical or unsuitable. Consider having your camera crew use remote directing and capture tools. It’s a method our camera crews we’ve been utilizing for the past few months with promise.
We’ve completed work with the BBC, conducting remote interviews and providing real-time preview shots. These remote interviews are similar to live TV interviews. Cameras are set up in an interview location on a long lens with the camera crew consisting of a videographer and sound. Audio is likely taken on boom rather than on lavs.
From a virtual video village in a separate room, the director and the interviewer conduct the interview. The interviewee listens to the interviewer’s questions via a speaker while seeing their image on a teleprompter screen or on a monitor placed on the camera’s side. The interviewee responds to the camera as if the interviewer is in the room.
By harnessing available technologies such as remote capturing and remote directing, we can assist in completing your production safely — your client gets their critical messaging to their audiences with speed and efficiency, you keep your client.
Safety Protocols on Film Sets
However, remote technology may be impractical for your shoot, and Moving Picture Rental also recommends and uses these additional precautions to minimize risk during on-site film shoots. Our camera crews follow these processes:
- Access to professional environmental decontamination and cleaning services to enhance location and studio safety before the shoot.
- Maintain Hygiene Protocols, including hand-washing and regular use of hand sanitizer.
- Prohibit crew with COVID-19 symptoms from coming to set; they must not have been in contact with anyone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- Keep the crew on set to a minimum.
- Use wireless Internet and cabled monitors so that the Director/Client can view the interview in another room or remotely.
- If requested, we can forgo lavaliere microphones and use boom only.
- We Pre-Light as much as possible before the talent arrives.
- We place Social Distancing markers on set when necessary or possible.
- All crew wears masks and gloves on location.
- Use local knowledge to find a studio that follows the required sanitation procedures.
- Offer individually wrapped client and crew meals.
- Shoot in outdoor spaces as permitted.
- Provide sanitized rental equipment.
MovingPicture.com is your one-stop-shop for all your production needs. During this unprecedented time, please stay healthy and safe.